Facebook
Twitter

Leiden - Map from 1600

Leiden - Map from 1600 History Social Studies Tragedies and Triumphs Geography

This is a detail of the map which Pieter Bast made in 1600.  It depicts the neighborhood, near the Pieterskerk (St. Peter's Church), where many Pilgrims (and their pastor, John Robinson) lived in an area known as the Groene Poort (Green Close).

Robinson, and members of his congregation, had purchased the land where they built about 21 small homes. Because the homes were owned by English families, the area was also known as “English Alley.”  Today the alley, which is still near St. Peter's Church, is in the neighborhood of Kloksteeg 21.  (See "Museum Leiden" for more information on this topic.)

In about 1683, those houses were demolished. Among others, the Jean Pesijn almshouses were built in their place.

Click on the map for an expanded view.


Media Credits

Image, courtesy Pilgrim Archives in The Netherlands.

 

To cite this story (For MLA citation guidance see easybib or OWL ):

"Leiden - Map from 1600" AwesomeStories.com. Oct 07, 2013. May 20, 2019.
       <http://www.awesomestories.com/asset/view/Leiden-Map-from-1600>.
Awesome Stories Silver or Gold Membership Required
Awesome Stories Silver or Gold Membership Required
Show tooltips